POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Mesh2 and the inside() function : Mesh2 and the inside() function Server Time
19 Apr 2024 20:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh2 and the inside() function
From: Tom York
Date: 23 Jan 2005 08:25:01
Message: <web.41f3a5368c1cfb422ff34a90@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I recently started experimenting with mesh2 objects. According to the manual
these objects normally have no well-defined inside, and therefore the float
function inside() obviously does not work with them.

I naively thought that adding the inside_vector statement to a mesh2
definition would (in addition to fixing CSG operations) allow inside() to
operate normally on such objects, but it doesn't seem that way.

The inside() function will still report a non-solid object error when given
an object identifier for a mesh2 whether it has inside_vector defined or
not.

If this is correct behaviour, could a note be added to the documentation for
inside() stating that adding inside_vector to a mesh2 will not prevent
inside() vector from reporting a non-solid object error even if the mesh2
is well-behaved? Or am I the only person who assumed that a mesh2 with
inside_vector should work with the function inside(), given that it works
with CSG?

Thanks,

Tom