POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mapping images onto prisms? : Mapping images onto prisms? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Mapping images onto prisms?
From: Tom York
Date: 12 Jan 2005 04:45:01
Message: <web.41e4f03585e3d9842ff34a90@news.povray.org>
I have a complicated model made up of a large number of POV primitives,
including prisms. I've run into problems when trying to apply a bitmap
image to many of these primitives, because the available mappings always
seem to introduce distortion somewhere (except on cylinders and spheres,
obviously).

At present I'm concentrating on mapping bitmaps onto prisms - the attached
image shows a small element that is mostly made up from prisms. The blue
highlighted objects are prisms that I'm particularly stuck on. The prisms
making the central body of the object have lots of obscured surfaces, so I
could probably put up with the "streaks" caused by a planar mapping.
However, the highlighted prisms have four or five very exposed sides, so a
planar mapping will look fine on two of the sides but terrible on the
others. A cylindrical or spherical mapping will introduce lots of
distortion and make drawing the textures quite difficult. I am not sure
what to try next. I'd quite like to keep any workaround simple (or at
least reasonably fast) as I intend to use the model in animations. I
couldn't find mention of UV mapping support for prisms in POV 3.6 - did I
miss it?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mt.jpg' (14 KB)