POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Human skin : SSS and faking method : Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method
From: Rene Bui
Date: 7 Jan 2005 20:20:00
Message: <web.41df33ef422926efdcb413ca0@news.povray.org>
>? you mean the lighting when the photo was taken?
Yes !

>I really was wondering how you were getting the great bump textures.
a great photograph and a good graphics tablet !

>Which I am acutely embarrassed about.  Certainly the intention was to
>continue that theme. That whole pursuit was intended to be a systematic
>technical investigation into each of these issues of modelling and
>texturing human form,... as well as a return to some of the issues of
>mind raised in Pierre Boulle's wonderful novel ;)
"La Planete des Singes"

> But I seem to be
>trapped in an infinite regression such that before I can do one thing I
>must first do something else.  Before humans, chimps, before chimps,
>masks,...
I suppose you're walking through the grand Gallery of Evolution.

>Actually that project involved three main problems, modelling
>form, texturing flesh, and generating hair.  Actually I am more or less
>still on the hair phase, except that the hair morphed into feathers.
>Like I said, before one thing, another.  My interest is in the potential
>of using clipped shapes to get hair, rather than segmented tubes.  A
>brief look at how it is going is attached. It is going SLOWLY!
Damn.. I look foreward to see your next hair/feathers experiments because
it is the second step for me, down exactly (is it the word for the small
hair on skin ?). I've tried with C.Colefax's macro but I'm partially
satisfied.

>My failure was absolute at the time, but your ear gives me
>hope.
I'm glad to restore hope..

>So I am ready to attack some of these things again.
Cool !

>But first, I must complete at least a respectable POVCOMP entry.
>Working at those large resolutions may be my undoing though!
Work well Jim !
And for me, it's time to go to bed.. my eyes are on the floor.;-)

Rene
(the old newbie)