POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Human skin : SSS and faking method : Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method
From: Rene Bui
Date: 7 Jan 2005 12:35:00
Message: <web.41dec6ce422926ef2db41b190@news.povray.org>
>I think the translucent look of the flesh was lost in the later images.
>I value that translucent look more than some of the effects you
>achieved in the later images.
I must notify an important point concerning the first image (9/19): there
was a photograph uv-mapped, on the contrary the later images have not, it
is a
psp hand-made texture.
Perhaps it's why unconsciously you make the difference. Obviously,
photograph make things more real. Besides, the more I learn cg/skin the
more I think using photographs* as diffuse texture is a kind of heresy due
their inadequate lighting.
(*)But works very well as bump map

>I think that it is this translucent look of the flesh, the effect of the
>light showing through from behind, that is what people are trying to get
>with SSS.  But maybe you achieved it another way?  I was never able to
>accomplish that and would love to know how you did it.
Technically, I know nothing else that all people knows yet and even less.
Often, I'm feel like a blind man in a dark room.. You know, I'm an artist
(cg
newbie) not a programmer.
This is why I can't bring up some good tricks to the community and also
why I'm feel frustrated opening this thread.
With SSS/media in pov, I can't do my own rules and use them from scene
to scene. It's annoying. Every time I move a bit the camera or lights or
objects, every time I have to waste many hours for tweaking and tuning
once more.
But there is one thing (maybe two) I know : the light is very important, I
mean the balance you have to do between different sources. For example,
the light from behind the head must be stronger enough but not too much to
get the translucency (I use *n factor, fade_distance and fade_power), and I
always balance at least with a low factor light from foreground because the
radiosity can't do that alone. Another trick is about the ears : in some
case,
I detached them (within wings) from the head. So they have their own
material and transparency (transmitting/filtering factor). The problem can
be
the visible border between ear and head, but in certain poses it can be
hide.
It depends on so many things and all situations are so different...

I would like to see more post about flesh in this newsgroup, it could be
helpful for me or others. I went to Jaime's website, but he stop
(temporarely) his skin experiments, I went to Oyonale but Gilles is very
discreet these days, I saw your great chimp post of 01/2004 but I believe
you never post the next step. So I 'm feel a bit alone with this subject.

>Forgive me, I cannot think of simpler words to use.  Sure wish I knew
>French :(
Don't worry, I took time to look at my dictionary. ;-)

Rene
(the old newbie)