POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Terrain for Myst-Like Game ~ 200kb : Re: Terrain for Myst-Like Game ~ 200kb Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:38:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Terrain for Myst-Like Game ~ 200kb
From: Aaron Gillies
Date: 20 Dec 2004 13:45:00
Message: <web.41c71d08fa83ae34513249030@news.povray.org>
> I have seen enough Bryce work (and used it myself to a small extent) to
> agree with you - I prefer even Terragen (of which I'm no great fan) to
> Bryce. And, of course, POV-Ray is leaps and bounds higher than that. :)
> If you wanted to reduce the Bryce effect I would probably think about
> your lighting some more. All the Bryce renders I've seen had very simple
> and point-light lighting in them. I might also do something with the
> sand, but I'm not sure what. It looks rather like it's all one piece
> (like a glued sandcastle) rather than blowable dry stuff.
>
> I like the texture on the rock as well. An interesting mix of "Clay
> Sculpture" on the near side and "Petrified Driftwood" on the right.

Thanks for your feedback ...

The effect of the sand fading into the water is done with fade_distance and
fade_power in the interior statement of the object.  The water is just a
plane with a bozo normal.  The effect can be somewhat more painterly than
photographic, but I like it!  With the combination of the ground fog at the
horizon, it sort of gives the pictures a "Distant Worlds" fantasy-genre
book cover look ...  Or at least I was hoping for it.

I know what you mean about the sound.  But I am not even sure how to
approach the problem, except maybe to go back into my bitmap editor and try
to make a better heightfield.

Aaron