POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wooden Furniture : Re: Wooden Furniture Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:40:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wooden Furniture
From: EagleSun
Date: 18 Dec 2004 09:35:00
Message: <web.41c43dd2c25e36d92bc27a2a0@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <sig### [at] shawca> wrote:

> I do have a question - I love the woodgrains, but I have never been quite
> satisfied with the lighting effects. This object is 24 x 18 units around the
> origin and drops Y*-36 and I have been fiddling with global settings and
> lighting.

Hi Stephen, I'm also a beginner in POV-Ray.... but I've been working in
graphics in general... I hope I can be helpful.

> Some softer lighting to create more gentle shadows but still **bright**
> diffused lighting is what I think I'd like ( I seem to have trouble getting
> *enough* light on the subject)
>
> Suggestions??

Try this:  1: restore lighting to <1, 1, 1> everywhere and raise the diffuse
values for the objeccts.  2: Change the background light, because the
"black" is dominating everything and making the subject look dark.  I
noticed that many modellers like to put their subject on a white plane, and
I think it's because the white plane can reflect light, reducing the
hardness of shadows.  3: You can experiment with ambient if the subject is
still too dark in the shadows.

> Here's what I currently have:
>

> // place all settings of globally influenced features here
> global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.8 }
> // Have tried ranges of 1.5 to 2.2

Restore gamma to 2.2 to bring out the color.  1.8 seems ok, it will brighten
the subject without taking away too much color.  (However just for
experiment, try a gamma of 1.0 just once, to see if the wood becomes more
realistic.)

Also note that one of the legs of this furniture is very different.

Finally, there's nice wood in the woodbox sample when you install POV-Ray.
You might borrow some code from there.