POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : povray 3.6.1 and Mac OS-X : Re: povray 3.6.1 and Mac OS-X Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:05:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.6.1 and Mac OS-X
From: chris morgan
Date: 7 Dec 2004 03:10:00
Message: <web.41b56343df8ab43170217cea0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas,

Thanks so much for your suggestions.  If it's not already obvious, I am only
a beginner with unix so your advice pointed me in the right direction to
fix things.  I'll explain what I discovered in the process in the hopes
that it might be of assistance to other unix neophytes with apple osx
computers. :)

The default target directory for the binary install is /usr/local/bin (plus
other folders as explained in the INSTALL document).

On the other hand, my $PATHs are

/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

I have never changed this and it may be a "default" so this may or may not
end up being an issue for other osx users.  [Would it be possible for the
installer to check the $PATH variable and install the binaries based on the
results?]

Rather than change this pathway I used the instructions in the INSTALL doc

% ./configure --prefix=/usr/bin COMPILED_BY="chris morgan
<iso### [at] yahoocom>"
% make check install

This seemed to work better because the check worked except that even after
using "rehash" I still got the message:

tcsh: povray: Command not found.

So I looked back through the reporting in the terminal window and found the
files were actually installed in usr/bin/etc as well as usr/bin/bin.

So, next (after uninstalling this version) I left of the /bin and installed
it with

% ./configure --prefix=/usr COMPILED_BY="chris morgan <iso### [at] yahoocom>"
% make check install

and it worked!!!!

Now the only problem remaining is that I didn't note where it installed the
..inc files so in the meantime I just used the "Library_Path=" in my .ini
file to reference the .inc files that were in the installer folder.
thanks again for your help.
chris