POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Subsurface scattering on a human head : Re: Subsurface scattering on a human head Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface scattering on a human head
From: stm31415
Date: 20 Nov 2004 11:05:01
Message: <web.419f687914cac53743b72f0d0@news.povray.org>
OK, let me see what I can say about all this:

>That one looks like velvet! Could you use that texture in a more appropriate
>model (maybe some cloth)?

Yeah, I don't want to limit myself just to skin. I over-did this one on
pupose, just to see what would happen. He does
look like he is covered in a fine fur, doesn't he...
Anyway, the distance between the outer and inner is larger than it needs to
be, and the media is very bright. I am centering in on a more realistic
look.

>I have the perfect model: yesterday I was working on a jewelry display

Sound/looks cool. I'd be happy to try it, but once I clean up the code for
this, I will probably pput it on a sphere and post it, so you can try it
yourself if you want. Oh, and don't let your family discourage you too
much. Even if your entry does not end up on par with others, I find I learn
more from entering a competition then just about anything else. (This is an
off-shoot of my next IRTC image. It takes too long to use for that purpose,
but it was cool...)

>Of course much of the dissappointment with your test result has to do
>with the plastic consistency of your pigment.  Skin pigment is much more
>variegated than we normally realize.

Yes. What I wanted, however, was to test *just* this method. So I used the
sme base color as I would for uv_mapping a more complex texture, but I
left it flat and plain. I would say that he ended up with quite a bit of
varied
color just from the texture. Certainly, he needs much more variety, though.
And I need to work out how I want to do normals (pores, wrinkles, etc).
Still, I'm happy with how it is working.

I'll have a higher quality, less over-done version rendered soon. Then I'll
move back to pigment. And modelling. And other images. And IK. Life fits in
there somewhere, doesn't it? ;)

Oh, well.

-S
5TF!