POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : missing part of object with julia fractal : missing part of object with julia fractal Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  missing part of object with julia fractal
From: Floyd
Date: 5 Nov 2004 11:55:01
Message: <web.418badcbdf608d885ca17c0e0@news.povray.org>
Hey Guys,
This is my first post.  I've just discovered povray and have enjoyed playing
around with it for a couple weeks now.  But, there is one scene I'm putting
together that has me pulling my hair out trying to figure out what's going
on.  I'm trying to take a "bite" out of a "glass" object (union of several
nested objects) with a difference statement and a julia fractal (the julia
surface really gives it a broken-solid-glass look). Everything has worked
fine up till this point; here is the bit of code:

difference {
 object {paperweight translate <-2,0.9,-4>}
 julia_fractal
  { <0.1,-0.3,-0.2,-0.2>
    quaternion sqr
    max_iteration 8
    precision 50
        pigment {
      bozo scale 0.4  rotate y*85
      color_map {
        [0.2  color <0,0,1,0.5>]
        [0.4  color <1,1,1,1>]
      }  }
   finish {ambient 0.3 reflection 0.2 ior 1.01}
    rotate y*-20
    scale 1.5
    translate <-1.5,6.4,-4>
  }
}

The problem is when the julia fractal is subtracted the lower half of the
object disappears (see attached image; both non-spoon objects should be egg
shaped), but the color shadow and reflection remains. I've
had a look at FAQs and done things like increase max_trace_level, but I
can't seem to find a way around it.  Sorry if this is an obvious newby
mistake
and thanks for any pointers.
- Floyd

Post a reply to this message