POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
14 May 2024 05:35:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: j
Date: 4 Nov 2004 19:00:00
Message: <web.418ac180b45fa19e4d3bf7670@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>     Can I do what? Model something like Mr. Rosenman has? I really
> don't know if I can, I'm trying now, (and btw, when I saw his work, I
> was already modeling something similar, so I was quite shocked to see
> what he's done), and so far, so good, touch wood. But seriously,
> there's no way I could do it directly in PoV-Ray. How would someone
> make the folds in the skin? I've been using PoV for 5 years now, and
> soon learnt early on that translating and rotating was going to be my
> bugbear. I just couldn't do it. It seemed to take ages to move a box
> where I wanted it. Then I tried sPatch, then Wings, (and with Wings,
> you can build an entire scene on your screen if so desired - that's
> the bit I like), and haven't looked back since.

When I mentioned about brute force I don't just mean mindlessly putting a
million primitives together to get a ultra high quality model.  Like Gilles
says, use the right tool for the right thing.  I don't have to put
realistic people in my scene for it to be world-class, make use of things
that can be done in Povray and you could be surprised. Don't restrict
yourself to using a modeller because you need high quality models, just be
creative.

It appears to me that with today's CG standards most scenes with organic
models (human in particular) are deemed world-class (not saying that these
kind are the only world-class images).  People can make the most
photorealistic and detail human face but the artistic value is not really
there.  Perhaps my philosophy for cg is different.  I don't think a
world-class image is the direct result of merely using a tool to make
images that parallel other world-class images. A world-class image should
involve things that are unique, inspiring, something that others have not
tried before... and on top of the remaining artistic components. Povray can
do some amazing light effects, so can mental ray (I shouldn't make a
comparison since I haven't used it before). The tools are not really
different, but you, and I, and the way we perceive the world, are.

>      No no, don't take it like that. Keep up the good work! Nobody
> would be wasting their time developing a way of modeling directly in
> PoV if it's achievable. I say fair play to you if that's your goal. I
> don't know what you're doing, but to me, I would say that a massive
> library of different shapes 'could' be a good start - so that someone
> could make a good robot, a good car, a good house, castle, whatever,
> in PoV if they want. I think that would be one way forward. Thoughts?

I've done most of the modeling during the "first phase" of the competition,
so for the remaining month it's going to be improving everything. I am
trying to make my scene 100% povray, hopefully it will be unique.

>     Btw, sorry, I was in one of those moods again last night, and you
> don't want to know... <sigh>
>
>     Good luck to you.
>
>     ~Steve~

My apologies, I guess I was a bit upset but I can see that your intension is
good. Best of luck to you as well.