POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : what GUI's for Povray can you recommend : Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend
From: Mark Ulrich
Date: 26 Oct 2004 22:50:00
Message: <web.417f0c2e88d08c9550e82e400@news.povray.org>
> OK, I got the above part fine. The chnmod 755 is basic. the only problem
> that I ran into was I had to use "./xxxx.bin" to do the
> self-extraction-thing.

oops... that was a type-mistake by me, sorry.

> > To get easy access, I made a link in /usr/bin:
> > ln -s /usr/bin/java /usr/java/jre1.5.0/bin/java
> >
> This part I never did. I did the cut and paste in my shell, but noting
> happend. I guess I need lessons on making shortcuts.

huh... I always mix this...
it is the other way round:

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/bin/java /usr/bin/java

*sorry again*

> Ok, this is where things got me! I found out where the Java JRE directory
> was exracted to, and the file is right where you siad it would be. I typed
> in "java -jar jpatch.jar" in the text document right in the jpatch
> directory adn made it executable. Nothing happened.

Yes off course, because the link did not work.
So the command "java" is not in the PATH

If you put the link in /usr/bin, it can be found (/usr/bin is in the
$PATH-Environment-variable)

Alternatiively you could execute java with the full path, like
/usr/java/jre1.5.0/bin/java  -jar jpatch.jar

But with the symlink you don't need it.
The symlink is practical, because you will not need to remeber the full path
to java in future :)

If there remains something unclear, just ask :)

Mark