POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : what GUI's for Povray can you recommend : Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:01:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend
From: Thomasso
Date: 26 Oct 2004 22:25:01
Message: <web.417f068d88d08c95160cebe80@news.povray.org>
Thanks Mark for your reply,

I tried to follow your directions as closely as I could....and managed to
hit a few snages along the way. However, I would like to say, you have
being more of a help with Java, then the people over at Java-Sun. They
expect if you download the file, you can figure the shell-scrips without a
document. Anyway.....

> Java-installation is somewhat annoying.
>
> Download

http://javashoplm.sun.com:80/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=jre-1.5.0-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId
=n
> oreg

You got that right! It took a few tries to get it. You need to set up a
account and go throught a couple of pages of information and personal data
before you can get your hands on the goods!

> You can download a RPM-File, but it is packed.
> To unpack, type
> chmod 755 xxxx.bin
> ../xxxx.bin

OK, I got the above part fine. The chnmod 755 is basic. the only problem
that I ran into was I had to use "./xxxx.bin" to do the
self-extraction-thing.

> Then you have a RPM you may install (as root) with
> rpm -i xxxx.rpm
>
> Then search for java on your harddrive, it often is in /usr/java/jre1.5.0

Unpacked the rpm with no problems.

> To get easy access, I made a link in /usr/bin:
> ln -s /usr/bin/java /usr/java/jre1.5.0/bin/java

This part I never did. I did the cut and paste in my shell, but noting
happend. I guess I need lessons on making shortcuts.

> Then I downloaded and extracted jpatch.
> To make it easy to run, I made a small "batch-file" called "runme":
> java -jar jpatch.jar
>
> Add this line in a new Textdocument (e.g. with kedit), and save it as
> /usr/local/jpatch0.3/runme
>
> Now make it executable:
> chmod 755 runme
>
> Like this you can start jpatch with a simple mouseclick in your filemanager.

Ok, this is where things got me! I found out where the Java JRE directory
was exracted to, and the file is right where you siad it would be. I typed
in "java -jar jpatch.jar" in the text document right in the jpatch
directory adn made it executable. Nothing happened. I tried clicking on the
jpatch.jar icon too. Nothing.  So, I'm wondering if I never realy started
the Java program up after I installed it? Is there something there that
needs to activated inside the java software? It seems that java never did
anything once I got installed--I saw the control panal, but nothing seem to
say that it was functioning?

This is as far as I got with the installation. Again, thanks for your reply!

cheers
Thomasso :)