POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : what GUI's for Povray can you recommend : Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:11:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend
From: Mark Ulrich
Date: 25 Oct 2004 16:30:00
Message: <web.417d61fe88d08c95ddaddcb90@news.povray.org>
Hi,

> I'm running Fedora II with the new Kernal, and for some reason I can't the
> java programs up and running. Could you dircet me to a place that gives
> install and running information for Java Programs with LINUX. I would realy
> like to get Jpatch up and running. I have not a clue on how to get these
> Java files installed and running? I tried everything I know in the Shell
> command, but I'm missing somthing?

Java-installation is somewhat annoying.

Download
http://javashoplm.sun.com:80/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=jre-1.5.0-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=n
oreg

You can download a RPM-File, but it is packed.
To unpack, type
chmod 755 xxxx.bin
../xxxx.bin

Then you have a RPM you may install (as root) with
rpm -i xxxx.rpm

Then search for java on your harddrive, it often is in /usr/java/jre1.5.0

To get easy access, I made a link in /usr/bin:
ln -s /usr/bin/java /usr/java/jre1.5.0/bin/java

Then I downloaded and extracted jpatch.
To make it easy to run, I made a small "batch-file" called "runme":
java -jar jpatch.jar

Add this line in a new Textdocument (e.g. with kedit), and save it as
/usr/local/jpatch0.3/runme

Now make it executable:
chmod 755 runme

Like this you can start jpatch with a simple mouseclick in your filemanager.

> With Fedora II, I have the KPovModeler 1.1.1 (KDE 3.2.2-8FC2 Red
> Hat)...Question: Does Jpatch not have it own GUI? Or do you have to use the
> KPovModeler to do the rendering. And yes, I have to download POVRay 3.5
> before I could create any pictures.

Jpatch has no gui to render.
You must export to povray, and use a file like this (taken from the
documentation):

//--------------------------------------code--
// camera
camera {
 angle 40
 location <0,40,-100>
 look_at <0,15,0>
}

// reflecting ground plane
plane {
 y,0
 pigment { color rgb 0 }
 finish { ambient 0 diffuse 0 reflection 0.5}
}
// light sources
light_source { <-1000,1000,-1000> color rgb 1 parallel }
light_source { <1000,0,-1000> color rgb 0.5 parallel shadowless }
light_source { <0,1000,1000> color rgb 1.5 parallel }

// load the include file
#declare vase =
union {
 #include "vase1.inc"
};

// add objects to scene
object {
 vase
 rotate <0,-30,0>
 translate <-20,0,10>
}
object {
        vase
        rotate <0,60,0>
        translate <15,0,-10>
}

//-----------------------------------

As this is quite annoying too, I started writing povfront (which runs on
Linux and Windows)

Here you simply add your file created with jpatch to the "objects"-List, and
click on "go" to render.

Very simple.

I added some scenes with different floors, to give you mor flexibility, read
the website for details :)

If you want to do this in kpov, you must use the "add Pov-Code"-Icon, and
insert the code from the jpatch-file via copy and paste.

I think povfront works faster in this case.

> SO basicly your program combins all these diffrent objects from other
> redering software and merges them into one sceen? Is there a program out
> there that already does this for LINUX?

Yes. Povfront is a kind of "scene-arranger" to get some organisation in all
the different models, not more (though now with terraform-support and
camera-creator it might become a complete landscape-animator).

> Anyway, I'm going to give your program a shot. Thanks for your hardwork. I
> hope I can get working.

If not, just ask :)

Greets, Mark