POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : what GUI's for Povray can you recommend : Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend
From: Thomasso
Date: 24 Oct 2004 18:15:00
Message: <web.417c286588d08c95160cebe80@news.povray.org>
"Mark Ulrich" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Looks like this GUI can not handle any of the .pov files that are
> > available here in many newsgroups.
>
> Hi,
>
> where exactly was the problem?
>
> In kpov, you may add the code from an external povray-file.
> To keep the files small, it might be better, just to include them
> #include "myfile.inc"
>
> I think by default kpov needs povray 3.5, so there might be the problem with
> your files, many of them certainly were written for pov 3.1.
>
> I started writing a small tool povfront, that allows to include different
> files in addition to a main "world"-file.
>
> It is not a modeller, but a tool to combine the objects from different
> modellers to a complete scene.
>
> I you try it, and delete the entrys in mytextures.inc (I think i added two

> run with pov 3.1, at least it did some days ago (it is work in progress).
>

> On that page, you also will find Links to some other nice tools.
>
> For more information, it would be helpful to get more detailed
> problem-descriptions, for example with code from a file that does not work.
>
> Mark
> http://povfront.sourceforge.net

Hey Mark, I'm in the same boat as @(none) as far as being a newbie to all of
this. I have amny questions before I get started. I'm just starting to use
the Kpov, doing basic things like the metal looking spheres on a flat
plane. However, I would like to one day move up to landscapes and more
complex objects like a human face. So I have a couple of questions
regarding the LINUX side of the POVray world.

I'm running Fedora II with the new Kernal, and for some reason I can't the
java programs up and running. Could you dircet me to a place that gives
install and running information for Java Programs with LINUX. I would realy
like to get Jpatch up and running. I have not a clue on how to get these
Java files installed and running? I tried everything I know in the Shell
command, but I'm missing somthing?

With Fedora II, I have the KPovModeler 1.1.1 (KDE 3.2.2-8FC2 Red
Hat)...Question: Does Jpatch not have it own GUI? Or do you have to use the
KPovModeler to do the rendering. And yes, I have to download POVRay 3.5
before I could create any pictures.

SO basicly your program combins all these diffrent objects from other
redering software and merges them into one sceen? Is there a program out
there that already does this for LINUX?

Anyway, I'm going to give your program a shot. Thanks for your hardwork. I
hope I can get working.

Thomasso