POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SunShadow - Bright soft shadows : SunShadow - Bright soft shadows Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  SunShadow - Bright soft shadows
From: Renderdog
Date: 17 Oct 2004 00:15:01
Message: <web.4171f15167b731bb59fbb9ef0@news.povray.org>
Hi All,

Using an area light with color values greater than one to
'blow out' the lighting on parts of an image, I noticed
some odd effects from the bright area light, so I produced
a scene file to isolate and examine the effects.

The scene file is posted at povray.text.scene-files and
includes some comments; wondering if my conclusions are
correct that this is normal and simply a result of the
color scaling necessary for colors greater than '1'?

This image shows the soft shadow from a very bright
light source, on a surface that has white and dark gray
colors. The top part of the image was rendered using
a bright white light (<1,1,1>*4).

The bottom part was rendered using a bright yellow light
(<1.00, 0.65, 0.35>*4).

The soft shadows on the dark grey parts appear normal
because no scaling was performed on that part, while the
white parts show a truncated soft shadow (and a color
tinge when lit by a yellow light).

Thanks,
Mark Slone

Post a reply to this message