POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mount St. Helens, smoking [153k] : Re: Mount St. Helens, smoking [153k] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mount St. Helens, smoking [153k]
From: jute
Date: 11 Oct 2004 12:20:00
Message: <web.416ab1fa18a3a04b67c1c3ff0@news.povray.org>

> What's the problem about that?  Of course the data resolution is limited
> but that's something i can hardly influence.

I was referring to you planet rendering system in general; the seams are
clearly visible in a few pictures, although the St. Helens image is very
good.  Of course it also depends on the field of view.  From your pages I
understood your techinque already uses intepolated transition zones between
hi and lo detail areas -- is it just that some images don't utilize this
feature (for example, earth_kilimanjaro1.jpg)?

How much pre-processing these images require?  Can you have the global
height/texture data 'as is' on the disc, and have your modded pov-ray
selecting which parts to actually read into memory?

--
jussi.kantola