POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Off the drawing board : Off the drawing board Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Off the drawing board
From: Tom York
Date: 4 Oct 2004 04:30:00
Message: <web.41610916796e6d8c2ff34a90@news.povray.org>
I don't usually do still images these days, but:

The image took about 3 hours to render. Most of the lighting work is being
done by radiosity, although there are three very dim point-lights present.

The knife, ruler and paper were made in Wings3D and took about 10 minutes
each - I was very impressed with Wings, as I hadn't used it much prior to
this. I intend to clean up the knife a bit where the low number of polygons
is obvious (near and far ends of the handle). The speckled pattern on the
ruler is (I think) because I used  infinite planes for the walls. The marks
on the ruler are made with a bump_map. The only textures on the knife are
solid pigments.

The images on the paper came out better than I expected - I rendered the
ship from several different viewpoints, ran the results through an
edge-detection filter in an image-processing program and used the results
on the paper as an image_map. It's come out surprisingly like pencil
sketching, I think. I need to fix the colour of the paper, it's too grey.

I've been working on the main object for some time, and there is still a lot
to do. However, I thought it was perfectly suited in its half-finished form
for a scene like this.

The JPEG version is also at

http://www.zubenelgenubi.34sp.com/graphics/tm1.jpg

There is a PNG version (500K) at