POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More questions about photons : Re: More questions about photons Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:14:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More questions about photons
From: dan B hentschel
Date: 30 Sep 2004 08:20:00
Message: <web.415bf9ba1838f502b31e6d870@news.povray.org>
"Nathan Kopp" <pov### [at] nkoppmailshellcom> wrote:
> Using more photons would probably improve the photon brightness estimate and
> increase the brightness.

You are absolutely right. Decreasing the spacing from 0.1 to 0.01 definitely
halped dramatically. The images are below. Unfortunately, in my full scene,
decreasing the spacing by the same amount yeilds a photon map that is well
over 900 MB in size! This won't fly on a computer with 512 MB RAM. I will
need to experiment more with the spacing to find a happy medium. I will
also play a bit with Shurakai's suggestion of changing scene elements
between saving and loading the photon map. I have a lot of objects in the
distance of my scene, and I don't care about caustics on these elements too
much. I can probably create the photon map with all these objects commented
out, and then put them back for the final render.

Thank you very much for your help and patience. I think I am finally
starting to see the light. ;-)

 - dan B hentschel

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: