POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another first post... : Re: Another first post... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another first post...
From: frozen
Date: 18 Sep 2004 10:05:00
Message: <web.414c406490d95b2237b975670@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy M. Praay" <sla### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I really like your idea for this scene!  :-)  Personally, I like the walls,
> but if you want to break it up a little, you could also add a door.  Just a
> thought.

Thanks a lot! I thought about using a door or window. But this would mean
that I would have to do a landscape behind it.. And it renders slow enough
without.. ;-)

> The blades of grass seem a little bit large and/or thick.  I would try
> making them a little bit thinner (less wide), and maybe a little shorter.
> But again, that's up to you.

I had a photo as reference. This rather large and thick type of grass exists
and so I think, I will not change it.

> Referring to your response to Tim's post, it seems strange (to me) that this
> scene would take 8 hours to render on an Athlon 1800+ without any radiosity.

I started a "full render" with radiosity at 800x600 pixel. It is rendering
15:45 now and reached only 37%...

> Do you happen to have any complex (or somewhat complex) "difference"
> operations being performed on the walls?

No. The walls are created by a macro from Steven Pigeon. As far as I looked
at it, he uses superellipsoids to create the bricks.

> Other than that, things like
> area_lights and focal blur would slow down a render, but it doesn't appear
> that you're using either of those.  If the walls are isosurfaces, that could
> also slow things down (not that iso-surfaces are a bad idea).

I don't use any of these features.

> Also, make sure you have Gena's modified version of TomTree
> (http://propro.ru/go/Wshop/povtree/tomtree-1.5.zip).  It speeds up tree
> creation by quite a bit.

I use this edited version..

> If you're relatively new to using radiosity, it's as simple as adding a
> couple lines of code to the global_settings section:
> ambient_light off  //optional, but generally recommended for a scene like
> this
> radiosity {count 100} // higher counts mean slower renders

I used the radiosity block from the insert menu. count is 35... Please don't
say, that I need to set to 100! ;-)

> Tweaking can always be done later.  I'm not sure what your current
> skill-level is, so I'm sorry if I'm oversimplifying something.  Radiosity is
> very difficult to master, but POV-Ray has an excellent tutorial on it.

I am new to povray. I used it sometimes in the last years but never was able
to get good results. This picture is the best work I ever did..

> I really like this scene though.  I'll be quite interested in seeing the
> final outcome.  Post it here when you're done!  I hope my suggestions have
> been helpful.

Thank you a lot! I will post it, if my machine doesn't crash before it is
done.. ;-) If the result ain't what I wanted, your suggestions will
definitely proof very helpful!

> (Also, JPEG is the preferred method for posting here, simply because not
> everyone has broadband, I assume.)

I don't like the jpeg-artifacts but I will post jpegs from now on!

Regards,

frozen