POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Interesting hardware to run Povray : Re: Interesting hardware to run Povray Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:40:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting hardware to run Povray
From: jute
Date: 17 Sep 2004 21:10:00
Message: <web.414b8a4ea667bdcd3aada8790@news.povray.org>
Ron Olson <ols### [at] panixcom> wrote:
> This is an aside question....what is the hardware you run Povray on?
> Anyone running it on a Cray? Or a chip? I've got Povray running on a
> Sony PS2 running Linux....doing the benchmark.pov file took more than
> two weeks before it crashed.

I used to run POV-Ray (1.0) on a Cray X-MP (I think) and a T3E parallel
machine when I was studying.  OK, not regularly, you don't want to upset a
nation by delaying their weather forecasts, but I tried it a couple of
times.  I've also run POV on different SGIs ranging from Indy and O2
workstations to multi-processor Onyxes (?), and some end-of-the-eighties
(fast!) IBM mainframe running AIX.  That machine was being phased out at my
university back then, around 1993, and I was practically the only active
user on it for a while.  It rendered the full scenes/  @1024x768 +a0.3 in a
few days, compared to months it would've taken on my 486/33 ...

I've never found a unix machine I couldn't get (official) POV-Ray to run on,
usually out of the box or with very minor porting.  I should also mention
that I never ran any parallel version of POV-Ray on those big number
crunchers.