POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : columned hall w/ crystal sphere : Re: columned hall w/ crystal sphere Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: columned hall w/ crystal sphere
From: demented yam
Date: 5 Sep 2004 17:55:01
Message: <web.413b8a23f6916ed6e66642ce0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> First of all: It would be more polite to say "I'd like some feedback"
> instead of "I want some feedback". No demands here, please. :-)

ok, then, i'll remember that for next time

> Regarding the image itself: the textures, aside the crystal sphere, a really
> flat. If the columns should be made of marble or such, I'd suggest some
> specular in the finish, and perhaps some reflection, this also applies to
> the floor, which is *really* grainy. Either you're using a very small scaled
> texture, or the light has some issues, maybe coincident surfaces or such?

yes, the floor is a very, very scaled down texture, but for the flatness
issues, i just used the standard textures that came with textures.inc

i might try fooling around with some of those numbers, though if it will
help

> A nice beginners image, but normally, a first image on the newsgroups is a
> RSOCP-Variant: "Reflective Sphere on Checkered Plane". You'll find hundreds,
> if not thousands variations on that on the newsgroups. Once that "test" is
> passed, you're free to post. ;-)

As far as the 'standard beginner' image, i've never been one for holding
back.

jumping in the deep end is the fastest way to learn how to swim.

acually, my *first* image attempt was a pair of cupped hands holding a pile
of sand with a miniature desert scene in it over a pool of water. (for the
irtc desert competition)

needless to say, it was a miserable failure as an image, but i got lots of
practice working with solids and shadows :)

> Regards,
> Tim

thank you

:)