POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some glasses (~50 KB) : Re: Some glasses (~50 KB) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some glasses (~50 KB)
From: Stephen
Date: 31 Aug 2004 05:15:00
Message: <web.4134411d2d3d99f971087b900@news.povray.org>
Andrew C on Mozilla <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I'm feeling a little depressed about my lack of talent for producing
> cool things with POV-Ray. I'd love to be in the POVComp, but I don't
> have anything nearly cool enough.
>
> I made this. It's unfinished. (I plan to add more different glasses.)
> Please say nice things.
>
> (Yes, the glass *is* supposed to be slightly tinted different colours.
> I'm not entirely sure I got the lighting right, actually...)
>
> All objects 100% CSG. The tallest glass is [supposed to be] just short
> of 20cm tall. The scene uses photon mapping (with spacing=exp(-3)*cm),
> which gives about 85MB of photon map. I haven't tried higher yet. (I
> might actually cheat and finish this at work on that spare server next
> to my desk (!!!) with 2GB of RAM (!?!?!!!!?!! *faint*) in it...)
>
> Andrew @ home.
>
> PS. The right-hand glass is actually tinted green. Not that you can
> tell. I don't think the glass is actually thick enough.
>
> PPS. All glasses modelled using actual measurements from real physical
> glasses. The glass on the right did look *very* wrong - until I realised
> that the *diammeter* should be 65mm, not the *radius*. Doh!

Well, you have picked one of the hardest things to model. Glass is
notoriously difficult. Just think of all those painters of long ago trying
to get it right. Light is so heavy :-}
I also think that the eye deceives the brain in RL (T) and we see what we
expect to see. So when looking at a rendering the colours can seem
exaggerated or unrealistic. Just keep plugging away and you will become one
of the experts.
That aside, I think your glass is a bit too thick (if you want to make fine
glass) but overall the modelling looks good. The Lights, IMO, are a bit
close to the glassware, going by the shadows.