POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I am having a lot of problems writting a recursive function : Re: I am having a lot of problems writting a recursive function Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I am having a lot of problems writting a recursive function
From: Jay D  Patteson
Date: 26 Aug 2004 22:50:00
Message: <web.412ea08078ba3b0085917ae90@news.povray.org>
> A very simple but quite nice example from my SCC3 entry,
> http://www.raf256.com/3d/image/a00119/
>
> there where also few simmilar entries AFAIR, You might want to look through
> http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/scc3/

Thanks Rafal, but I am still very much a newbie at POVRay... and I don't
have a clue what your source code is doing. (even though I am rendering it
as we speak) I got it all worked out with the last guy's help.  Thanks,
anyways.

I do have an additional question though:

I was a math major in college for many years, which is where I first learned
about fractal trees and such.  Granted that the fractal tree that I
generated has two limbs rotated about the axis of the last limb at 72
degrees, and one limb at arctan(4/3) and the other at arctan(3/4), 1 unit
higher, it is beautiful.  But it looks very mathematical.  So I tried to
induce some randomness in to it.  I have played with random rotations,
random branch heights, and random branch angles.  Nothing looks as real as
the generic one with nothing random at all.  Freakish!.. I don't get it.  I
thought that a true tree would be much more random.  Or perhaps, it is the
simmetry of the regular fractal that appeals to me...  has anyone else
noticed this?

Thanks for your time,
-Jay