POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : An old photograph of The Megastructure : Re: An old photograph of The Megastructure Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An old photograph of The Megastructure
From: Ewok
Date: 22 Aug 2004 13:10:00
Message: <web.4128d2354eb26f0bce95c8230@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> I enjoy the results you are getting with your reductionist approach.  I
> like the two corridor pictures the best (along with the "freaky" scene
> that was part of the process).  It's not only the studied use of the
> composition but the effects of the nearly imperceptible textures too.
> Is the "parallel mirror" technique necessary?  I would think you could
> get a similar image with a program loop?  Just curious really.
>
> The sepia picture takes on an odd fleshlike quality when displayed
> against the limegreen background of your page btw.

Reductionism is fun! Many interesting attributes can be discovered when we
look at the pieces of a system as pieces making up a whole. Emergence and
the like are fascinating .... Thank you for your comments!

It would most *certainly* be possible with a program loop. However: not only
was the idea to use parallel mirrors appealing, it turned out that I gained
an extra bonus. The mirrors are not precisely parallel: the far mirror is
y-rotated by 0.1 degree. This provides the wonderful
curving-off-to-the-right extent of the "passageway". This would have been
much more of a pain in looping through objects, because of rotation,
placement, and checking the intersection for problems. Also, I could easily
have added x-rotation to curve "upward", for instance.

Of course .. this led to the slew of problems ("challenges") I had to deal
with. The radiosity left smears from the Japanese characters, so I had to
do two passes, saving radiosity, and loading. Also, the texture was
reflected in the mirror which led to a terrifically ugly Rorschach pattern.
So I ended up doing two seperate renders with same settings, and pasting
them together over the mirror seam with Photoshop.... I know it's crude,
but I'm pleased with the results, and it's +/- exactly how I intended it to
come out.

Again, thank you for your comments.
-Eli

ps. For more behind-the-scenes ... take a look at this early render in the
process. (Made with a Real Point-Light!)

--
http://ewokker.no-ip.org/WebPage/

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: