POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : initial_clock / final_clock behaviour : Re: initial_clock / final_clock behaviour Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: initial_clock / final_clock behaviour
From:    Tyrell
Date: 5 Aug 2004 18:35:00
Message: <web.4112b548217d299beb697f1c0@news.povray.org>
hum, well, ok ...

basicly it come down to the fact that the animation INI settings
[Subset_Start_Frame] & [Subset_End_Frame]
effect the built-in variable values of
[initial_clock], [final_clock], [initial_frame] & [final_frame].

I personally don't understand the WHY of this behaver,
but worse, there is no indication in the documentation of this behaver.

basic rood-map to flame:
1) you think you understand those settings/variables (based on doc)
2) you start using those settings/variables (experimenting and finding out
there usefulness)
3) at some point you try to render a subset of your animation
4) and your completely surprised by a subset render that make no sense.
5) you finally figure out you got to rip out all used
(initial/final_clock/frame) and
replace them with hard core value's, just to get that subset rendered
correctly.
(very high innocence level, if you ask me)

In my case I use like to use the AVI frame-time value to my animation work,
instead of the raw [clock] value.
But to make this work I need to know the 'real' start and ending frame of
the whole animation sequence.
And there is no way to calculate them ... unless you cheat.
besides, calculating them also defeats the purpure of having built-in
variable that refer to INI settings.

I still don't understand why they don't just provide a full set of build-in
animation variable that
directly give the value's of the used setting.
It would be a good thing, because its clear, simple to use, and effective.
(if it would be really useful ... is something that should be judge by
Animators,
 not the programmers!)

haaaaaa, that feels a lot better :)

ps:
- I'm not a regular (webpage-login), nor a great talker (no discussion)
- so, it will probably take along time for me to react (if ever)
- however, I do read up ... from time to time.