POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : No, I actually *don't* know how I made the chin to that.... : Re: No, I actually *don't* know how I made the chin to that.... Server Time
18 Jul 2024 16:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No, I actually *don't* know how I made the chin to that....
From: gregjohn
Date: 2 Jul 2004 12:00:00
Message: <web.40e5855fe68b3ba140d56c170@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Wow.. Is this a mesh rather than blobs?
>
> Very nice ... I'm still trying to make out
> what he is saying. But, very
> nice. :)

I cannot remember whether the lip-sync file was for (the first few seconds
of)  "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" or "povray rocks baby."

Thanks.  The chin is a blobbed stack of about 37 spheres, whose radius and
position are determined by a natural_spline. Half of them are stationary,
half of them are rotated by an angle that goes from zero to the angle by
which the lower jaw is rotated.  One of the latest improvements was simply
clueing in to the idea that a natural spline would work better than a
linear one.   If you look at it carefully, you'll see that the tip of the
chin actually looks like it flabs down a bit more than it should, almost as
if it were made of rubber.  I thought this was funny so I posted it.

Also the chin length in profile was totally wrong for the old version of
MIME Man, even though I though't I'd based it off an anatomically correct
skeleton.  These are based on the poser guy, as evidenced by the background
image.

Now, I'm thinking about how to use this stack-of-spheres to give more
realistic calf & shoulder muscles, plus lips!