POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: POV-Ray & KD-Trees : Re: POV-Ray & KD-Trees Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:10:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray & KD-Trees
From: Daniel Neilson
Date: 28 Apr 2004 22:25:01
Message: <web.4090666b66fba34228de1b160@news.povray.org>
> >  If anyone's interested in seeing the results of my experimentation, you can
> > see them at: http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~dneilson/raytracing.html
>
> I miss a scene making a lot of use of meshes.  Since they have their own
> bounding hierarchies in standard POV it would be interesing how well
> your version handles this.

 See the web page listed above. I've updated it with a couple of timing
results from Ingo's mesh maker macros.

> >  Should anyone be interested in my kd-tree code, then drop me a line. I'll
> > see what I can do about pulling the kd-tree stuff out of my codebase and
> > reinserting it into stock POV-Ray.
>
> Sure i'd be interested.

 I've made a patch against the POV-Ray 3.50c sources available for those
who're interested. You can grab them directly from
http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~dneilson/povray-3.50c-kdtree-patch.tgz

 To apply the patches you'll have to:
1) Download the povray 3.50c sources from the povray web site and uncompress
it.
2) Unzip the archive into the src directory.
3) Next type "cat povray-3.50c-kdtree.patch | patch -p1" from the src
directory.
4) Lastly, run povray-3.50c/configure and modify src/Makefile to compile and
link in kdtree.cpp & kdtree.o.

 Note that the kdtree build code can require a lot of stack space. So, if
the code crashes make sure that you're running with a big stack (ulimit -s
unlimited).

-Daniel Neilson