POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tuesday Un-useless Code (73kb) : Re: Tuesday Un-useless Code (73kb) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tuesday Un-useless Code (73kb)
From: Budgery
Date: 27 Apr 2004 17:00:00
Message: <web.408ec99ecbf0f5b5a1fd027f0@news.povray.org>
> not having time to read through the include file, is this just a "blobby"
> looking object or will it interact with other blob { ... } objects? say, if
> you put two of those "Death Star" objects next to each other how would they
> interact?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.  The blobified object is a true
blob.

Speaking of interactions, this bit of code is actually the first part of a
grand scheme where animated objects can interact with each other accurately
wihtout explicitly coding in the movements and interactions...example:
you've got a cube hurtling trough space at another cube, we'll just call
them Borg cubes for now...so imagine your two Borg cubes, both of them
rotated randomly, so they won't just bump into each other face-on.  When
they collide, one corner of a cube is going to impact before anything else
(most likely), and at that impact some momentum goes into changing
directions of the cubes, some goes into rotating the cubes...those changes
in momentum can be calculated, depending on masses, normals, centers of
mass, velocities, etc..

And the FIRST step in calculating all those things is to map out the outside
surface of the object/s.  So basically, this blobify function does that and
outputs the surface data into a blob.

Budge