POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface gears : Re: Isosurface gears Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface gears
From: Budgery
Date: 15 Apr 2004 17:00:00
Message: <web.407ef75184498a2ea1fd027f0@news.povray.org>
> Nice! It's just ... you need to make the gears more round ... more
> spherical, and standing on a checkered floor.. Not bad for a first try
> though.

Yeah, I never though of putting a slope with repsect to z on the gear (with
respect to x, y the gears are already perfectly cylindrical thanks to
isosurface)....it would be really easy to get it to conform to any one
pattern, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to make that slope a
parameter....that is what you mean, right, like if the gears were more like
toruses (tori?) or conical in shape?  Conical I could make into a parameter
easy greasy.

> Seriously, they are nice. What's the render-time?

Like I mentioned before, both of those images were created using an old
version, each gear requiring 3 isosurfaces with some overlap.  The
bluegreen took about 10 minutes, I think, p4 2.8gHz 512 mb, the big gear
grid maybe took 20 minutes?

I would imagine once I get the new povray beta installed, I can reduce the
render time even more seeing as how the new function would only ever call
one isosurface per gear.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming! :)