POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Muchos Huevos : Re: Muchos Huevos Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:12:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Muchos Huevos
From: SunTzu2
Date: 15 Apr 2004 16:15:00
Message: <web.407eec56f43298e8eba257cf0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias v2.0" <#macro timnikias (@) #local = "gmx.net" #end> wrote:
> That aside, what sort of collision-avoidance did you implement? There are a
> variety of methods, but 9 hours for 3500 objects seems like a rather high
> parsing time...

I have no experience at all with collision avoidance methods and just did
the first thing that came to mind.  Doubtless it is hideously inefficient.
I just calculated the distance from each newly generated location to each
of the previous ones...   I can already think of a couple of ways to
improve on it.  I didn't even exit the loop as soon as a failure was
detected and just continued on checking all the previous locations!  haha.
If you have some information on different algorithms for this sort of thing
I'd be happy to see them.