POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : CG book by "Beijing Zito Books Co" -- what's this? : Re: CG book by "Beijing Zito Books Co" -- what's this? Server Time
17 May 2024 03:39:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CG book by "Beijing Zito Books Co" -- what's this?
From: gonzo
Date: 12 Jan 2004 16:40:02
Message: <web.400312e8f69a4b27a0c272b50@news.povray.org>
ziotom wrote:
>I have received an e-mail by "Beijing Zito Books Co", a chinese publishing
>company (their name was unknown to me, but they have a web site at
>http://www.readroad.com -- unfortunately almost everything is written in
>chinese!).  They say they are planning to publish a CG book and want to put
>some images of mine in it, asking me to use them without charge nor
>royalties.
>
>Since the only CG images I created were submitted to IRTC, I think they
>contacted somebody else which joined this competition (maybe all the
>participants?).  Is it so?  And if it is, what do you think about?

Yep, I received the same email.  Doesn't say much.

I'll going to reply, asking them what images specifically they are referring
to. Like you, I am assuming they are talking about IRTC, but since I have
several IRTC entries, it would be nice to narrow it down a little.  The
email also mentions some "authorizing documents", so I'd like to see those.
 I suppose I should point out to them that all IRTC images are already
subject to IRTC copyright (Is copyright even an applicable term in China?).

I can't think of anything terribly wrong with the idea offhand, since
a) I'm not making anything from the images already, and
b) the images are already freely available online, both from the IRTC site,
and some at Lost Souls, so if they just wanted to use them it wouldn't be
difficult and I'd probably never know the difference. The fact that they
actually bothered to ask I suppose is in their favor.

Maybe some of the better known POV artists who are more experienced with
actually having their work published can add some insight.

RG