POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Interesting isosurface with MOD & DIV : Re: Interesting isosurface with MOD & DIV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting isosurface with MOD & DIV
From: Leo
Date: 6 Jan 2004 15:00:04
Message: <web.3ffb134c561c685a2e8550c00@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

>The max_gradient does not have to do anything with the continuity of the
>*surface* but with the continuity of the *function*.  When you generate
>a repetitive function with mod() but vary the different repetitions it
>will be very hard to get a continuous function (to be precise you will
>have to make sure the variation drops to zero at the repetition
>borders).  Looking at your image - you'd probably have it much easier
>(and faster) by using a separate isosurface for each of these 'columns'.
>
>Christoph
>
>POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Sim-POV,
>HCR-Edit and more: http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/
>Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Yes, it is the discontinuous nature of the DIV function itself that causes
the problem.  Computing just one 'column' gives a MAX_GRADIENT of 77.
Still quite high, but better than the 59000 reported for the whole.

My concern, really, as that the artifact is showing up in the continuous
section.  I am going to rerender with the MAX_GRADIENT set to 77 and see if
this fixes it.

Leo