POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : bounding boxes problem and solution : Re: bounding boxes problem and solution Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:47:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bounding boxes problem and solution
From: Andrew Clinton
Date: 9 Dec 2003 20:00:02
Message: <web.3fd66ec7a497fd62611ee4e60@news.povray.org>
While your method sounds very nice, I'm not sure how you are attacking some
of the practical problems... For example, for most primitive types you will
need to choose the set of planes to use for bounding.  If you choose the
wrong set (eg. the 6 axis planes for a sphere) then your method really
isn't better that what I described.  If you want a more accurate set of
planes you will need more (for a sphere you would need infinity), which
will make it slow.  Also, you will need to define methods to create
efficient sets of bounding planes for each object if you want it to be
fast.

How are you doing the degeneration to a AB?  It doesn't seem like it would
be easy...

Isn't a set of bounding planes called bounding slabs?

Andrew