POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Classical gas : Re: Classical gas Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Classical gas
From: gonzo
Date: 25 Nov 2003 16:40:01
Message: <web.3fc3cac9a8d59e42a0c272b50@news.povray.org>
ts wrote:

>would you be willing to share some of the code?
>or talk a bit about your methods for forming and bending
>the sides?

Not much to talk about, it's a prism, scaled down to make the back & top,
and differenced with itself to make the sides & the binding.  No forming or
bending required.
I'm eventually going to make it a macro that takes the main dimensions and a
couple of offsets to set the curve, so that I can just plug in measurements
and create different body styles.  Also needs to be able to do a florentine
cutaway.

I'll post the source once I get a more finalized version.  So far I'm just
testing...

>are all the inside braces there? ;)

Not on this one, but probably somewhere down the line.  Part of the project
I'm building this for will likely be a cutaway image showing the inside w/
braces.

>would love to begin doing some pearl inlay/sound hole
>fretting modeled on my own instruments.
>inspired now to begin simulating a small cigarbox banjo
>i have.

I'll be doing a banjo next...

>or a nice carved violin.

That's a tough one to model.  I haven't yet gotten good enough at modelling
in any one app to be able to do that kind of detail.  I did a pretty nice
violin in Bryce a couple years ago, but it was a composite of several
methods (Bryce boolean, Hamapatch & heightfields made in PSP).  I still
have all the parts to that one, though, maybe time to see what I can do
with them in POV.

RG