POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : OS X 10.2 : Re: OS X 10.2 Server Time
19 May 2024 18:36:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS X 10.2
From: Renderdog
Date: 19 Nov 2003 11:40:01
Message: <web.3fbb9c15c8c449e13e7f78a60@news.povray.org>
Scott Gammans wrote:
>Yup, downloaded it last night. I've run into some minor problems, mostly
>with my G5 freezing up if it goes into screen saver mode while POV-Ray is
>rendering. If I have any behavior I can reliably duplicate I'll submit a bug
>report through the normal channels.

Ooooh, a G5... Which one, and have you timed the benchmark?
Are you using Panther?

I'm planning to get a G5 eventually, primarily for POV-Ray, but
the early benchmarks posted here weren't very impressive
(slower than an $800 Athlon box). Of course, I'd still prefer an
OSX machine and will get a G5 anyway, but there are a lot
of nice Windows utilities for POV-Ray you give up using a Mac.

One nice thing about a dual G5 is I could continue to use my
machine while POV-Ray crunches in the background, but you
can get a similar system using an Athlon machine with a shell
script as described on Christopher James Huff's website.

As a solution for the future, though, software for the G5 will
only get faster. And there's always Maya or Lightwave, though
I enjoy using POV-Ray so much I'm not interested in switching
any time soon.