POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First Post : Re: First Post Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:31:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First Post
From: caffeinebill
Date: 14 Nov 2003 15:50:01
Message: <web.3fb53db7a69f2e37d6c93cf30@news.povray.org>
Marc Jacquier wrote:
>  Nice! Certainely not your 1st image :)
>  I can hear the rumble when it rolls

Thanks!  I have been doing CG since 1988 when I was in grad school, taking
computer graphics classes as part of my required courses for a masters
degree, specializing in artificial intelligence.  (I still don't understand
the relationship.)  In the second class, we wrote a "ray-caster" and added
features over the course of the semester, and I was hooked.  Then I found
POV (or its predecessor) on Compuserve, and have followed its progress ever
since.

>  Do you prefer gif to jpg?

gif was just smaller, and I didn't want to get flamed for uploading a file
that was "too large", as this is my first post.

>  And last question, is there normal in stone texture or is it really
>  irregular?

Actually, the stones are isosurfaces.  The pseudo-sphere is generated by
some nested loops which determine the x,y,z coordinates of each stone, then
generates the isosurface object with the iso function altered to produce
varied effects on the stones.  (Actually, this just generates half of a
shell, and I duplicated and rotated  the first half to get the second
half.)

>  Marc

Bill