POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Crash after 63 frames? : Re: Crash after 63 frames? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:03:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash after 63 frames?
From: Scott Gammans
Date: 3 Nov 2003 16:20:01
Message: <web.3fa6c432944a788685aba4bf0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:

> I'm not sure whether Thorsten should ever reply to this...

I'll grant you that calling him an arrogant smarty-pants only lowered myself
towards his level. From day one he has never been anything but rude and
nasty whenever he's answered a question of mine in these newsgroups, but I
shouldn't have used that as an excuse for name-calling.

> You demonstrate nothing since you generate an animation by
>outputting PNG files. If the memory leak is in the PNG library which
>is used by povray, then it's still not an memory leak within povray.

You're partially right; I should have kept the inputs and outputs pure TGA.
I used PNG for the final output because I was used to using that format for
my final output. Tomorrow I'll repeat the test using Targa output for the
animation test in step 2.

*However*... even if the leak is in the PNG library used by POV-Ray, it's
still a leak in POV-Ray. To an end user like me, it doesn't matter whether
the leak is in a subsystem used by POV-Ray or in the code code itself--it's
still a memory leak that occurs when POV-Ray is used in the manner for
which it was designed.

> BTW, nobody said not to use an external image processing program.

I only pointed that out to stress that nothing outside of POV-Ray (and
whatever libraries it uses) was involved.

Thanks.