POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Elastic pendulum thingy [~1000KB] : Re: Elastic pendulum thingy [~1000KB] Server Time
19 Jul 2024 06:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elastic pendulum thingy [~1000KB]
From: Gergely Vandor
Date: 29 Oct 2003 20:45:01
Message: <web.3fa06c81be33929cb78e044d0@news.povray.org>
Andrew Coppin wrote:

>I still can't quite get this to look how I wanted it to look, but it's still
>very interesting IMHO. Physics is simular to my mesh simulation.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I've got an idea to make your
simulation more realistic. At first sight it seems obvious that every
"mass" in your rope is connected only to its two immediate "neighbours" (n
is connected to n+1 and n-1). If you connect them to their "second
neighbours" as well (n-2 and n+2) you'll probably get a more realistic
bending. But as I'm writing this I'm becoming unsure it will work well with
a single line of springs. If you replace this single line with much more
masses and springs, and give your rope a dimension along the other two axes
as well, you can get more interesting effects too (like twisting of the
rope). Sorry for my unprofessional use of words, I hope it's still
understandable. :)

--
Gergely