POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : US Brig Niagara WIP : Re: US Brig Niagara WIP Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:28:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Brig Niagara WIP
From: Tim McMurdo
Date: 17 Oct 2003 16:40:01
Message: <web.3f90536a9f57b1a9297c858d0@news.povray.org>
Abe wrote:

>At the risk of pointing out what is probably obvious to you, here are my
>suggestions.
>Technical - I don't see any braces, sheets or lifts. On the sail (which is
>GREAT) I'm wanting to see chafe marks, esp. where it can rub up against the
>stays. Also, are there any staysails rigged on this thing? If so (and
>not raised) there should be a halyard flopping around with the stays.

I agree that all of these details are needed and they are present ont he
plans I am following. The chafe marks will require some thinking on my part
as I do not want to use UV mapping if I can avoid it (Point of pride).

>Artistic - I almost want to ask if the direct sunlight should be a little
>more yellow - is the sun angle low enough the justify it? It would go well
>with the spot of red provided by the flag. And, now that you've done so
>much work on the sail geometry, consider a translucent "texture" for your
>final render. If you do this, it will free the sails from being earthbound
>and really make them fly!

I will make changes to the sun light as I am currently using white. I seem
to remember a thread around here giving rgb values for sunlight. I'll
search for that one.

I'm not sure that old canvas sails were translucent like modern sail cloth.
Does anybody know? I would make this change if I can confirm that they were
indeed translucent.

All of your comments are helpful and encouraging. Thanks for taking the time
to push me along in the right direction.

Tim