POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : US Brig Niagara WIP : Re: US Brig Niagara WIP Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:26:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Brig Niagara WIP
From: Abe
Date: 17 Oct 2003 07:25:00
Message: <web.3f8fd0979f57b1a9759ecd850@news.povray.org>
Merrin wrote:
>I ahve never been happy with my use of Bezier Patches for sales on this
>project. So, I have given the MechSim feature from MegaPov a try. The large
>sail in the center of the image was created using MechSim and SDL...without
>UV mapping. While it still needs plenty of work, I am pleased with the
>results so far. I welcome your feedback and suggestions for improvements.
>
>The flag was made with the cloth sim feature also found in Megapatch using
>UV mapping.

oooh, I'm really liking this!

At the risk of pointing out what is probably obvious to you, here are my
suggestions.
Technical - I don't see any braces, sheets or lifts. On the sail (which is
GREAT) I'm wanting to see chafe marks, esp. where it can rub up against the
stays. Also, are there any staysails rigged on this thing? If so (and
not raised) there should be a halyard flopping around with the stays.

Artistic - I almost want to ask if the direct sunlight should be a little
more yellow - is the sun angle low enough the justify it? It would go well
with the spot of red provided by the flag. And, now that you've done so
much work on the sail geometry, consider a translucent "texture" for your
final render. If you do this, it will free the sails from being earthbound
and really make them fly!

Abe