POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Time to move on (144k jpeg) : Re: Time to move on (144k jpeg) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time to move on (144k jpeg)
From: Mack Tuesday
Date: 15 Oct 2003 23:40:01
Message: <web.3f8e1286a8a359c94c56200d0@news.povray.org>
It has definitely improved.  I really like the prominances on the Sun and I
agree that the rings work very well.

I'm no expert, but here are some things I'd try if I were you:
- Change the number and position of the prominances.  The more I look at the
Sun in this picture, the more the prominances seem imbalanced somehow.
- Change that innermost planet.  It doesn't look like any planet in our
system.
It's too big and shiny to be Mercury and too small and grey to be Venus.
- That sun appears to be the only light in that room, so perhaps the room
should appear darker.  If the room is darker and the dark sides of the
planets show less ambient light, it might improve the look of the room.
Either that or add some other lights.
- Is the sun already an area light?  I think if you made it an area light
approximately the size of Earth and turned "orient" on there might be some
improvement.
- Increase the apparent detail in the wall texture and maybe change the
finish.  Right now it looks like some sort of plastic veneer.
- The far part of the table should appear grayer and less shiny than the
near part.  That's because the surface over there is being viewed at a more
oblique angle, which means there will be a greater density of dust
particles along the line of sight.  I wonder if a thin layer of scattering
media would do the trick.

Just so you know, I don't criticize when I don't like a piece.  (I often
don't criticize even when I do, however.  Laziness.)