POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Level Surfaces Using Media : Re: Level Surfaces Using Media Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:26:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Level Surfaces Using Media
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 7 Oct 2003 08:20:01
Message: <web.3f82ae85bc09b08e10dd5cfd0@news.povray.org>
Ben T. Scheele wrote:
>Dave,
>    You show here very well how Pov-Ray can be used as a wonderful
>mathematical visualization tool.  Brilliant images too.

Thanks.

>Would it be possible to change the color based on the gradient of the >function?

Probably, but I usually have to wait for someone like Mike Williams or
"Sputnik" to come along and show me how ;-)

>It seems like you've got something like that going with the x-ray surface.
>I mean for example using blue for shallower slopes and red for higher
>slopes on the surface.

Actually, that's just a coincidence in this case.  I use the function as a
density function, then a simple color map that's black (clear) up to 0.4,
red at 0.4, green at 0.5, red again at 0.6, then black (clear)from 0.6 to
1.  So the change in color is really from the change in the paramater:
F(x,y,z) = k.  I know what you're suggesting can be done with isosurfaces,
but I'm not sure how to do it with media.

Dave Matthews