POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : glass objects : Re: glass objects Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: glass objects
From: aquarin
Date: 11 Sep 2003 06:45:01
Message: <web.3f6051d4bfc26d5ac49a88ba0@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
>Nice colors. Several suggestions:
>1. If you're not already using it, try variable reflection.

I will try, i am still learning.

>2. A more detailed skysphere with nice clouds would
>be good. Slime posted a link to some image-maps
>recently in povray.general.

Yes, I was thinking about this, and downloaded some of them. But I still
don't
know how exactly to use sky_sphere with  image-maps properly.

>3. The Photons-Effect isn't that visible, so unless the
>scene changes to something more dramatic (with
>scattering fog or such), you might want to try and
>drop it to see if it has that great an impact on the image.

The photons create the caustics for each glass object. I have to limit the
total number of photons to speed up rendering. With no photons the rendering
time is an order of magnitude smaller.

>4. Do you either use absorption or fade_power in
>the interior of the glass-objects? That might give
>them some more depth.

No, i will try.

>5. Scatter some more spheres around. You can see
>them in the reflections, and it looks almost like the
>only sphere present are those already visible.
>
>Finally: why 30 hours?

The photons increase the rendering times. Probably if I play with parameters
it will speed up.