POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : wet glass (72kb) : Re: wet glass (72kb) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wet glass (72kb)
From: Alex Kluchikov
Date: 2 Sep 2003 20:20:01
Message: <web.3f5532ddf631fde062554590@news.povray.org>
Davey B wrote:
>"Kaveh" <kav### [at] delete_this_bitfocalimagecom> wrote in message
>news:kav### [at] netplexaussieorg...
>> In article <3f5447ff$1[at]news.povray.org>,
>>  "Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > But I think, the picture looks like there are holes in the sphere. Is it
>> > realistic?
>>
>> I too agree with this. I opened the image without reading its
>> description and I got the impression of 'pits' in the sphere. I think it
>> might be something with the refractive index setting. When you look at
>> the droplets towards the outside of the sphere, the outside edge of the
>> droplet is bright and the near side is dark. Should this be the other
>> way around?
>>
>> --
>> Kaveh
>
>It is one of those weird optical illusions I think.  When I first read the
>title and looked at the image I saw a sphere with dropplets of water.  When
>I read your post and went back to the picture I saw a pitted sphere.  Very
>weird.
>
>Dave

Hmmm... People, this effect is only the fake! There is no drop objects in
scene - all impression of water drops on wet surface is bump - mapped
second layer on texture. So, drops can not be reflected, have no interior
and cast no shadow. And you are right, sometimes they looks like a pits or
even holes. But I am not sure if it is possible to make fully realistic
drops using layered texture or some other fake method.
 I have other drops sample, on the non-reflective and non-transparent
sphere. Look in p.b.s.-f. for sources.

 Sincerely yours, Alex Kluchikov.