POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Surrealism WIP : Re: Surrealism WIP Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:12:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surrealism WIP
From: pmccombs
Date: 15 Aug 2003 12:10:01
Message: <web.3f3d0540e4f33fdcaa31b9eb0@news.povray.org>
Kevin Loney wrote:
>Planning on starting the final render in a couple of days and figured I
>should get some opinions from other individuals. Anyway I have temporarily
>turned the trees off and plan on throwing in a little more vegetation
>hopefully later today. I was trying really really hard to get the grass into
>a checkerboard pattern but it caused a great deal of frustration. Comments,
>suggestions, criticisms?

I think this will look really good with your trees and vegetation. It's
funny you should mention the checker-pattern grass, as this is an idea I
encorporated into my own surrealism entry. :) I used Chris Colefax's hair
macro to do it, and I defined my mesh as squares that I could put into a
checker pattern. It turned out pretty well, although I had a hard time
keeping the hairs inside the squares, and they tend to bleed out into the
adjacent squares a little bit.

Do you plan on improving the ground/dirt texture? I think that is really the
only thing I would improve much.

I think the ray-traced sphere-on-checkerboard cliche is an excellent
starting point for a surrealistic image.