POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just because... : Re: Just because... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:13:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just because...
From: gonzo
Date: 13 Aug 2003 20:30:01
Message: <web.3f3ad7bc36d4de07a0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Wow, thanks for all the feedback!

This is a condensed reply...:-)

>An excellent idea and image imo. I like the way that you've used
>the shadow on the golf ball so that the icons on the screen can sit
>there. Background ideas? Hang-glider, electricity pylons, birds, hot
>air balloon?
>
>   ~Steve~

I had thought of birds, just need to model them.  I like the hang glider or
hot air balloon ideas, will play around with it. Thanks.

>You should try rounding the holes on the ball, but I suppose you were
>already going to do it. An isosurface could do a nice golf ball maybe.
>Nice pic, thanks for posting,  :-)
>
>JC

Er... I'll accept code contributions on how to do that... being seriously
mathematically impaired, my best attempts at isosurfaces so far have been
horrid or worse :-(

>Question: Is that background a photo? I mean the trees, mountains, sky..
>They look great! But ya know, when the golfball is in focus, the background
>can't be at the same time with a conventional camera.
>
>Regards,
>Hugo

No photo. Near trees are Gilles' Maketree macro, far trees are Paul Dawson's
Meshtree macro, mountains are height_field made in World Machine, and sky
is a Terragen render on a sky_sphere.  Camera is non-conventional ;-)

>Oh yes. The sense of anticipation in this image is excellent, the way the images
>is aiming at the flag. I almost expect to see a club swing down at any moment!

Cool! That was pretty much the mood I wanted, my friend is an absolute
fanatic. When he isn't playing, he's planning to...

>Good balance of colours as well, the green on the ball is very effective, and
>the tee is a nice accent colour. I'd suggest making the grass a little less
>yellow, and the atmospheric fog very slightly more blue. Also your bunkers look
>a little strange, maybe too pale or smooth.

Yeah, still working on grass & bunkers. I want the grass lighter so I can
use a darker green around the flag. The bunker looks too shiny, I'm going
to try removing the finish & going with a plain pigment.

>But anyway, it looks fantastic. Please post a massive version when it's finished
>(I run in 1600x1200, and I could do with a new BG!).
>
>Nice work
>
>Tek

Thanks, will do, although its mostly on hold until I finish my surrealism
IRTC entry <sound of surreal teeth grinding together>

Raf256 wrote:
>Grass in front is too hard, when I played with grass macros, I wrote a
>macro that was creating a mesh of single grass leaf. One of it
>parameteres was level of detail, grass near camera has about 50 segments
>(50*6 triangles) and far-away 4..5 segments.

This uses Gilles' Makegrass so not sure how to do that...  But it has too
much curve to it for fairway grass, so I'll probably just straighten it out
which should also smooth the appearance.  I just started writing my own
grass macro recently (also mostly on hold...) so I'd be interested in any
input on how you implemented the level of detail feature.

Thanks Jaime & Roberto for your kind comments.
Will post the final result.

RG