POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : csg (26+17 kb). : Re: csg (26+17 kb). Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: csg (26+17 kb).
From: Alex Kluchikov
Date: 4 Aug 2003 16:40:02
Message: <web.3f2ec3ed1fab002d1932a0d0@news.povray.org>
ingo wrote:

>did you use/try the "r_ConnectSpheres" macro from
>pov.../scenes/advanced/cats/coolcat.inc ? If not, you seem to have the
>same "problem" that I had. The transition from sphere to the difference
>{cylinder/torus} object is not 100% smooth. Is it possible at all with
>pure CSG?
>
>Anyway, I like the objects, they seem to beg for a checkerd plane ;)

No, I did not use macro from /scenes/advanced/cats/coolcat.inc.
It is pure csg, and we can not get 100% smothness with csg like this - we
have at join line continuous surface, continuous normal vector but
discontinuous derivative of normal - so, we receive smooth surface if no
reflection, but unsmooth if there is reflection. I think, with csg we can
not solve this problem.
 And if you really like checkered plane, I can post one (even imagine:
Subject: checkered plane. Attached picture - checkered plane ;) It was
joke...

 Sincerely Yours, Alex Kluchikov.