POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : house design with Moray : house design with Moray Server Time
26 Jun 2024 05:11:13 EDT (-0400)
  house design with Moray
From: leon
Date: 5 Jul 2003 23:45:01
Message: <web.3f079a18d64ef62c7dc35b250@news.povray.org>
hi all,

I'm doing a little project designing a house I'd eventually like to
build.... I'm trying to do it all with freeware...

I've pretty much decided to use designworkshop lite for the basic plans, it
seems to do the job nicely.

I've played around with Moray (3.3), and POVRay, and very happy with it:
gives the sort of rendering quality I'm looking for (I wanted radiance and
raytraced reflections etc).

I can get a model in DXF format from design workshop lite to Moray using an
old program called "Crossroads" to generate a raw file from the DXF, then
importing to Moray using the standard RAW import.

I tried 3ds win, but can't get the plugin to import DXF directly (it just
shows RAW in the list of files and even that doesn't work - Moray
crashes!).

But the problem now is material assignment: I can't assign different
materials to different surfaces - only 1 material for the whole model which
is not very useful!!!

Any thoughts on how I could do this?

Any suggestions helpful, even alternative software (freeware modelling /
rendering) which might do the same job.

Cheers

Leon