POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : I hate to bother the beleaguered POV developers, but... : Re: I hate to bother the beleaguered POV developers, but... Server Time
3 May 2024 23:40:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I hate to bother the beleaguered POV developers, but...
From: hamburg
Date: 24 Jun 2003 12:30:02
Message: <web.3ef87c25283d77537f877a1c0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>The systems ship in *August*, they are not available yet, so don't expect
>anything before the systems are actually available :-)

Yes, I'm not pressuring people to get it done NOWNOWNOW, just wondering if
it'll be on the agenda.  It wouldn't really do anyone much good before then
anyway.

>Not to mention that it isn't exactly feasible to buy a new computer for
>US$3000 every year to optimise for the newest available system just to
>develop a free program.  Not that I wouldn't really like to do so ;-)

Heh.  Point taken.  It's nowhere near certain that I will have a G5
available anytime soon, and I'm not going to replace my eMac at college
anytime soon.

>> Is there 64-bit code for other architectures that could be ported?
>
>There is nothing to be ported, you are on the wrong track that there is any
>porting necessary.  You can compile the Unix version of POV-Ray on Mac OS X
>just like on any other (64 bit) Unix system, but it requires some good
>understanding of the implications, and for the plain 3.5 source code it
>might require a patch to get radiosity to work as expected on any 64 bit
>system, but that is all.

Cool.  I've actually been wanting a POV that takes command line arguments.
P'rhaps I'll have to try this if I get access to a G5. (My family's old
G3-266 is having problems, crashing at random times, and such; it could be
time to replace it soon, and I'd have SSH access from school if they did).
No radiosity could be a problem, but many of my scenes don't use it anyway.

>> It seems like you could get a fair bit of render speed increase as POV uses
>> high-precision math.
>
>It is to be expected, yes.

Good.  Waiting for 8 hours on a G4 is annoying, even if it's only for the
final render :-/

>> Heck, will there be a version which supports Jaguar even
>
>POV-Ray 3.5 runs just fine in Classic with the same performance.

Uh-uh.  It runs fine under OS 9 with the same performance.  But for some
reason on my system, I can't get it to run in classic.  (ie, it ignores the
checkbox in the Get Info window).  This is presumably a problem with my
system, rather than POV (in fact, I don't know how POV could possibly be
causing the problem), but it's still quite aggravating and prevents me from
using it under OS X.

>If you are
>looking for a version for Mac OS X 10.2 that runs under the Mac OS X GUI, go
>to <http://mac.povray.org/download/macosx102.html>.

Oh, cool, a new release candidate!  Thanks, I didn't notice that! *checks it
out*.

>    Thorsten
>

>PS: For a purely technical explanation, please read this instead:
>Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:32:14 +0200
>From: "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde>
>Newsgroups: povray.general
>Subject: Re: PowerMac G5 implications