POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : general_x_spline : Re: general_x_spline Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:46:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: general_x_spline
From: Kitsune e
Date: 1 May 2003 17:15:11
Message: <web.3eb18d44fa7c046c85164ca40@news.povray.org>
ABX wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:09:01 EDT, "Kitsune_e" <kit### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Catmul-Rom? Like Catmul-Rom subdivision surface?  Povray dosn't support true
>> subdivision surfaces yet right?  ... Sure would be nice if it did.
>
>What you mean as "true subdivision" ? Can you point to some url what kind of
>subdivision you mean here.
>
>> Can't wait to see your patch, is it going to be distributed as a source
>> patch, or will you offer a binary too?
>
>Both, as usually for MegaPOV.
>
>ABX

Sorry, what I ment was that I can use a mesh2 object with normal smoothing
to approximate a SubD surface, but with Catmul-Rom the render engine would
actualy subdivide the mesh on the fly to provide smoothing.

I think this would be useful as I often see artifacts with normal smoothing
in animations, and especialy when a normal statement is included in the
texture.  A basic implimentation dosn't _seem_ that difficult.  I don't
know if your spline functions could be of any use for this, I just though I
recognized the name of the algorithm.